Pedal-power versus e-bikes

Stuff.co.nz
By Felicity Reid

E-bikes are exploding in popularity, but some cyclists complain they are a menace in the cycle lanes.

A typical electric bike can travel 3kmh to 8kmh faster than its non-battery-powered counterparts, which one recreational cyclist said means cycle paths can become a “war zone”.

“All motorised vehicles should be on the road. The people riding them [e-bikes] are not cyclists and they go far too fast,” the Auckland resident, who did not want to be named, said

Sales of e-bikes have “exploded” since 2015, according to Chris Speedy from Electric Bikes Auckland.

Speedy said, in the past two years, the number of e-bikes on the road has quadrupled.

He estimates 60 per cent of e-bike owners are recreational riders, while the other 40 per cent purchase a bike for commuting…

Read more at:
https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well-good/95153396/pedalpower-versus-ebikes-as-tensions-erupt-in-the-cycle-lanes